AccuMark V-Stitcher Interface
The AccuMark / V-Stitcher Interface menu contains the following items: Import Model, Update Model, Import/Update Model Piece(s), Import/Update Piece(s), Options… and Help.
The Import Model feature allows an AccuMark model to be selected using the AccuMark File open dialog box and will import the model’s pieces with the specified qualities into V-Stitcher. Start with this function to bring AccuMark model and piece data into V-Stitcher.
The Update Model feature allows the current AccuMark model and pieces that have previously been imported into V-Stitcher to be updated using the current AccuMark piece data. By design, this feature will neither add nor remove pieces to V-Stitcher. Update Model will only update pieces that are already in V-Stitcher. It will not import additional AccuMark pieces that are in the AccuMark model that do not already exist in V-Stitcher. Update Model will not delete pieces that were removed from the AccuMark model. This prevents pieces that were newly created in VStitcher from being deleted in V-Stitcher.
The Import/Update Model Piece(s) feature allows the user to import or update selected pieces. If the piece does not already exist in V-Stitcher, it will be imported into V-Stitcher. This allows the user to add new AccuMark pieces into V-Stitcher or update specific existing pieces.
The Import/Update Piece(s) feature allow the user to import or update pieces that may or may not be in the AccuMark model from any storage area that have the same size line as the shapes that are already in V-Stitcher. This feature allows AccuMark pieces that are not part of the model to be imported into the V-Stitcher garment or updated. If the user selects a piece from a different storage area than the AccuMark model is located and the piece is not in the AccuMark mode, Update Model will not update these pieces. These pieces can only be updated using this feature.
The Options… feature allows the user to turn on or off various warning messages.
The Help option displays the help file for AccuMark / V-Stitcher Interface.
Preparing AccuMark Model and Pieces for V-Stitcher
When importing or updating AccuMark data into AccuMark V-Stitcher, there are several things that you can do that will make the data easier to prepare for draping. Before importing the model into V-Stitcher, follow the steps below in AccuMark PDS and the Model Editor.
1. Quantities 2. Seam Allowance
- Make sure quantities are correct in the AccuMark Model Editor.
- Define or swap the seam in AccuMark PDS so that the boundary lines are the sew lines.
3. Perimeter Lines
- Define the perimeter lines by splitting and merging lines appropriately in AccuMark PDS before importing the model into V-Stitcher and creating the stitching in VStitcher. The V-Stitcher function Delete Stitches in can use a marquis to select all of the pieces at once if it is necessary to redefine multiple stitching lines.
- You may wish to delete all notches on internal lines in AccuMark PDS. If present, they will not be seen in V-Stitcher and the following warning message will be displayed:
The user has the ability to turn off this warning message by clicking the ‘Do not show this warning again’. To turn this warning message back on, select the ‘Options…’ from the Plugins/AccuMark menu and click the ‘Show warnings on Import/Update Model’:
No harm is done if notches are present on internal lines. They are simply not displayed in VStitcher.
V-Stitcher does not support several of AccuMark’s advanced piece properties that may generate a different number of points on different sizes and sliding notches (i.e. tangent, non-zero reference, group and graded notches). The Import and Update Model commands will auto-detect the advanced piece properties and will allow the user to select a single size to import or update into V-Stitcher. The table 1 lists the AccuMark advanced piece properties.
Table 1: AccuMark’s Advanced Piece Properties
Unclipped Perimeter Lines
Tangent, Reference and Group Notches and Notches with Grade Rules
System Generated Curved Intersections
Seam Corners defined in Generate Seam/Corners mode
Seam Corners with auto-seam extensions - Perpendicular Step, Bisect Step, Slanted Step, Squared, Match Seam and Match Squared
The following diagram shows a graded AccuMark Piece with Unclipped Perimeter Lines:
If all sizes of must be imported (or updated) into V-Stitcher, all of the advanced piece properties must be removed from the pieces in AccuMark PDS prior to importing or updating into V-Stitcher. If any of these piece properties exist when the model is imported or updated into V-Stitcher, the system will prompt the user to select the desired size and the interface will only import/update the selected single size. The following size selection dialog box will be displayed:
The Details button allows the user to see which pieces contain which AccuMark advanced piece properties. The following is an example of the messages displayed when selecting the Details button:
• Import Model and Update Model will read the model detailed information and create flips accordingly so that symmetric pieces do not have to be generated in V-Stitcher. The X-Flip pieces will look like Y-flips but when rotated 90 degrees they will behave properly. For example, sleeves will be in the correct position for the avatar this way. V-Stitcher needs the pieces in this direction for the correct handling of the fabric and for the proper positioning of the pieces during the draping process.
• Update Model will not lose any of the setup previously performed with a model and its pieces in V-Stitcher. The Garment Map information, clusters, stitching, and fabric assignment will all be retained if the number of perimeter lines on the AccuMark pieces match the number of edges in V-Stitcher. Adding or removing points or notches will not adversely affect this information.
• The import path is now saved when the AccuMark model and pieces are first imported into VStitcher. Files created in earlier versions of this software will not have this information and as a result, Update Model will not do anything when used with earlier VSGX files that were imported using the original interface software. An appropriate advisory or warning message will alert the user.
• Update Model will not remove pieces in V-Stitcher that were removed from the Model in AccuMark therefore, keeping the newly created shapes that were created in V-Stitcher.
• In previous versions, if the corner point(s) are removed (edges have been grouped) at the mirror points in V-Stitcher, Update Model distorted the piece. If using AccuMark / V-Stitcher Interface SP4, the system will now detect this condition and prompt the user to delete and recreate the shape or not update the piece. If the user chooses to update the piece from AccuMark, the user will need to setup the shape information such as piece rotation, fabric, stitching, etc.
• Import and Update Model feature will now set drill holes.
• Update Model no longer shifts pieces in the V-Stitcher work area. However, a shifting problem still exists in certain conditions. Refer to the Update Model Issues section of this document.
Export Model Changes
Export Model has been removed. Differences between V-Stitcher and AccuMark PDS software does not lend itself for a robust and reliable export of complete piece data back to AccuMark pieces. In situations where piece data must be transferred from V-Stitcher, the data may be exported using the DXF Exchange feature in V-Stitcher. The resulting DXF file may then be brought into PDS and the data used to update the actual AccuMark Pieces.
V-Stitcher smoothes through points differently than AccuMark
Curve shapes may differ slightly between AccuMark and V-Stitcher because the two applications implement different curve smoothing algorithms.
The difference in curve smoothing does not cause a significant difference in garment draping. If examples are found that show a significant difference we will pursue this further.
The AccuMark curve shapes imported into V-Stitcher have been improved to detect angles at points that do not have smoothing or non-smoothing attributes and set the Straight point attribute for angles that are less than the AccuMark smoothing angle (120 degrees).
V-Stitcher does not smooth through internal lines
Curved internal lines (including seam internals) differ between AccuMark and V-Stitcher. The difference does not cause a difference in garment draping.
Notches on internal lines do not appear in V-Stitcher.
If AccuMark pieces have notches on internal lines they will not appear when the pieces are viewed in V-Stitcher. This does not adversely affect the draping image that is produced.
Some notch angles will not display the same between AccuMark and V-Stitcher.
In AccuMark, standard perpendicular notches are displayed using an angle equal to the angle bisector on notches located on top of data points. In V-Stitcher, the notch angles will be perpendicular to the second line segment. This is generally not the same as an angle bisector, and as a result, the angle used to draw notches in V-Stitcher will be differ from AccuMark. In addition, AccuMark angled notches will also be displayed in V-Stitcher using an angle that is perpendicular to the second segment in V-Stitcher.
V-Stitcher does not display internal lines graded in the Nest function
Graded internal lines can be viewed in V-Stitcher when selecting individual sizes in the ‘Sizes’ dialog box. However, V-Stitcher does not display the graded internal lines. This does not cause a problem in the rendering of the draped garment, but may be disconcerting when graded internal lines do not appear graded in the nest in V-Stitcher. The user has the ability to easily toggle off the display of internal lines by selecting Show, Internal Points function.
Hide Seam Internal Lines
In AccuMark, Pieces can be saved with the seam internals hidden if the user does not want the seam internals to be displayed or plotted. When the model with hidden seam internal lines is imported/updated into V-Stitcher, the seam internal lines will not be displayed. Also, in V-Stitcher, there is an option to turn off the display of internal lines by selecting View, Show, Internal Points.
Update Model Issues
Update does not maintain V-Stitcher stitching information properly when the number of perimeter lines in the AccuMark piece differs from the number of edges in V-Stitcher. For example, this will occur when the Combine/Merge Line, Split Line, most of the Dart functions are performed on pieces in AccuMark PDS. This will also occur when changing the number of edges in V-Stitcher by removing or adding Corner point types or using the Create Multi function in the Stitch menu. When this is done, the stitching must be manually removed from the edges that have been modified within V-Stitcher after the revised model is updated.
Internal lines created in V-Stitcher will be lost when Update Model is performed. This causes Iron Lines, Shrink Lines, and Fold Lines in V-Stitcher to be lost when Update Model is performed.
In one instance, Update Model operation has been found to cause mirrored piece to become distorted. This has been demonstrated with mirrored piece 100-BACK. We have not been able to reproduce this problem at Browzwear’s software development center in Israel and this problem is still under investigation. In the USA where we can reproduce this problem, we can remove a close point at the arm-hole line that is 1/16 inch from an intersection point and the problem will no longer occur. If other examples are found which cause this problem, we would appreciate receiving a Problem Report along with the AccuMark Model and Piece data. Minor changes to the piece data will likely enable you to avoid this problem.
Update Model causes some pieces to shift in the V-Stitcher work area when selecting different sizes to import or update.
Update Model cannot update mirrored pieces that have been changed in V-Stitcher such that the mirror points are no longer the first and last corner points. For example, if the user removed the corner point option(s) from the mirror point(s) or used the Group function in the Corners menu in V-Stitcher, then the Update Model function will prompt the user to delete the shape and it will create a new shape or not update the shape from the AccuMark piece. If the user chooses to delete the shape and have the system create it again from the AccuMark piece, then the user will need to setup the additional shape properties (such as rotation, fabric, stitching, etc.) that have been lost in this process.
After using the Update Model feature, the user should use the keyboard to enter Alt+S to properly re-display the pieces in V-Stitcher.