This chapter explains the system requirements for installing and running AccuMark on Windows Vista or Windows XP Professional operating system, how to start a PDS/Silhouette application, and what information is provided in user documentation and online help for this program.
Please see the Release Notes available from the installation CD or the LaunchPad Documentation page for additional details on installation, set up, requirements, SQL storage and SQL requirements.
All systems require a mouse or compatible pointing device, and a standard keyboard.
A CD-ROM drive is needed for installing software.
Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher is required.
Logging into the system as an administrator is required to properly install the software.
The following tables describe the desired hardware and software for different operating systems.
Windows XP Professional
3.0+ GHz or higher
Video Adapter / Monitor
Super VGA video adapter
Ultra VGA 1280 X 1024
Hard Disk Capacity
230 MB free space
230 MB free space
SP 2 & Critical Updates
SP2 & Critical Updates
In order for you to effectively use AccuMark software, the Best requirements in the above table are recommended.
• Microsoft Critical Updates which can be found by clicking the Start, All Programs, Windows Update on your Windows Vista or Windows XP Professional system. Note that this requires an Internet connection.
• In XP, turn off Fast User Switching when creating new users. If this is turned on, it will result in configuration errors. Fast User Switching is not supported in Vista.
• In XP, turn off Simple File Sharing through the Tools, Folder Options in Windows Explorer or Control Panel.
Note: The 64-bit version of XP is not supported in AccuMark V8.3
Windows Vista Business, Enterprise or Ultimate Requirements
2 GHz 32-bit (x86)
3 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 1.7 GHz dual core
Hard Disk Capacity
15 GB free space
20 GB free space
In order for you to effectively use AccuMark software, the Best requirements in the above table are recommended.
Microsoft Critical Updates which can be found by clicking the Tools, Windows Update from the Internet Explorer. Note that this requires an Internet connection.
Note: It is always best to use the latest service packs and critical updates
Unsupported Operating Systems
The following operating systems are not supported for AccuMark Family software. While you may be able to install this software, it is possible you will experience technical problems.
Windows XP Home Edition
Windows 95 and Windows 98
Windows Vista Home Premium or Home Basic
Note: AccuMark V8.2.2 and earlier releases are not compatible with Windows Vista. A subsequent release will be provided for use on Windows Vista along with complete instructions for installing and running the AccuMark family of software on this new operating system.
Hardware is the physical equipment of the system. Hardware required for AccuMark includes:
• Printer (optional)
• Mouse or compatible pointing device
• Security Device
• Plotter (optional)
• Digitizer (optional)
• Silhouette Table (optional) - Used to input and modify patterns generally with a pen.
Operating System Guidelines
Windows XP, and Vista, Users
There are many permutations and combinations of user permissions that an administrator can implement. The AccuMark installation does not override security permissions. Since an administrator can create registry keys at most levels, it is recommended that a user with administrator privileges perform all setups. For further details, please refer to the Configuration Notes for Windows.
Windows XP Professional Users
A Windows XP program file is included on the AccuMark Family Product CD to change permissions of non-administrator users to run the AccuMark Software.
If trying to install the software as a non-administrator, there will be prompts to Install Program as Other User. Do not continue. An administrator must install the software and then Permissions for Windows XP must be applied before non-administrator users can access AccuMark programs and data.
Note: “Fast User Switching” and “Simple File Sharing” must be unchecked when creating new users on Windows XP Professional. If this is not checked, configuration errors will result.
Problem Enhancement Report Utility
The Problem Enhancement Report Utility (PERU) is a small application created to simplify submitting bug reports regarding Gerber products. It can be launched from the error dialog as soon as a problem report is encountered, or can be started separately to send in a problem report about a difficulty that does not result in a program error message. It may also be used to send a message to Customer Service to request a call back.
Using the Problem Enhancement Report Utility enables the software group to more quickly resolve problems, by providing detailed information. It also greatly simplifies the process of reporting a bug. The PERU can include one or more screen captures that show the problem, and may be used to submit other related files to better document the difficulty. When a problem report is submitted, a 6-character reference value uniquely identifies the trouble reported.
AccuMark uses a combination of a unique hardware dongle and software security license file to protect the software. The dongle attaches to the parallel port of each PC or workstation where the software is installed. The Security License File is copied to the hard drive in a specific location. This combination will allow the activation of the AccuMark software.
The AccuMark Family Product CD now installs an “Install License” program that easily copies the license file into the proper destination for use by AccuMark applications. From the LaunchPad select the “AccuMark Explorer/Utilities” page, and run the program by selecting the “Install License” icon, or use the AccuMark folder, select “AccuMark Explorer/Utilities” and “Install License.” A dialog box displays where the Product and source location for the license file can be chosen. Run the program once for each Product. The program, by default, looks for files of type.lic (the license file will come with the extension of .lic, for example, AccuMark.lic). It will prompt to overwrite the existing license file if one already exists.
Installing PDS/Silhouette Software
The installation procedure for AccuMark will automatically set up the appropriate software on the AccuMark system for the level of AccuMark purchased; AccuMark Advanced Edition or Professional Edition. The level of AccuMark purchased will contain specific applications based on the license settings.
Notes: Important: Close any open programs before installing the software.
The installation of an Internet browser is recommended. Be sure to be logged into the system as a user with Administrator rights.
1. Most Windows Vista or Windows XP Professional systems setup will automatically start when the CD is loaded. If AutoPlay is not enabled on your system:
a) From the Start menu, select Run.
b) Type e:\setup (where e: is the letter of your CDROM drive).
c) Select OK.
2. Once the Welcome page displays, read the “What you need to do first” section.
3. Check and display the system requirements after reading the System Requirements section. Run the “Test for System Requirements” test.
4. Install the system updates, as required.
5. Install Acrobat Reader and view the documentation.
6. Click “Install AccuMark” for the particular edition to be installed.
7. For a standard installation select Typical. Follow the directions (selecting NEXT to continue when prompted.)
8. When the installation is complete, select Yes to restart the computer, if prompted.
9. InstallShield will prompt the installation of the Wizard for Problem Utility Report. Click Next.
10. Select Destination location. The default Path is C:\Program Files\Gerber Technology\Problem Report. When the installation of the Problem Report Utility is complete, select Finish.
11. InstallShield will prompt the installation of the wizard for GTLM Security. Click Next.
12. InstallShield will prompt the installation of the Wizard for Sentinal LM Server. Click Next.
13. Select Destination location. The default Path is C:\Program Files\Rainbow Technologies\Sentinel LM Server.
14. A dialog box will display “Remember to load your license file before running AccuMark programs”. Use the Install License Program found in the folder or LaunchPad under AccuMark Explorer, Utilities. Click OK.
15. View the Readme Document. To view the documents Adobe Reader must be installed. Click finish.
16. When the installation is complete, select Yes to restart the computer, if prompted.
17. Before installing AccuMark applications, the Security License must be installed.
18. Open the Gerber folder or LaunchPad to AccuMark Explorer, Utilities to install the license file. Select the “Install License” icon.
19. Select the product, and source locations for the license file. Click OK.
Where to go From Here
PDS/Silhouette comes with extensive online help built into each application. Nearly everything needed to use PDS/Silhouette can be found by searching for topics in the online help.
An Extensive Source of Information
The PDS/Silhouette online help is an extensive source of information. Included are step-bystep procedures for numerous tasks that can be performed within the application; complete reference information for all screens, menus, windows, and dialog boxes; and workflow information.
Accessing Online Help
To access the online help choose the help command located in the menu bar, and choose Help Topics.
Printing Online Help
The online help topics display in the main window. At times there may be a secondary window, or pop-up windows that provide additional information. To print a topic from a main window, click the Print button located on the information screen.
Installation of AccuMark Software
AccuMark software must be installed on each workstation that will be using the applications. The AccuMark software does not need to be installed on a license server, the license server will only need to run the GTLM and Sentinel driver installations.
Auto-Uninstall of Previous AccuMark software
If you run the installation of AccuMark version 8.0.5 or later and have a previous version of AccuMark V8 software, the installation will first remove the previous version. If your system does not meet the minimum operating system requirements, you will not be able to proceed with the installation. You may return to a previous version by re-installing that software.
Upgrading to a New Version of AccuMark
Generally, upgrading an existing AccuMark(s) to a new version is not difficult. There are a few considerations however that may affect the upgrade process. For example, do you use SQL, have connections to other applications in your company, or use the connection with WebPDM.
If using SQL for storing AccuMark data you should ensure that the server hardware meets the recommended requirements.
If using SQL for and upgrading from 8.0 or 8.1 to 8.2 or higher, the function Update SQL from AccuMark Utilities needs to be used on all of the SQL storage areas.
If upgrading from V7 you should ensure that the pc hardware meets the recommended requirements for the AccuMark software.
If using the WebPDM connection you need to ensure that the 2 versions are compatible. When using AccuMark 8.2.1, WebPDM version 5.1 or higher should be used.
If connecting to other systems within your company via the AccuMark Toolkit (SDK) or csv, ensure you use the latest version of each and test the connection once the software is installed.
AccuMark Family Software Installed
The Installation procedure for Release 8.4 will automatically install the following software on the AccuMark system:
• Pattern Design
• ASTM Pattern Conversion Wizard
• AccuMark Batch Processing
• CSV Tools
• DXF Converter (DXF Import)
• Lconvert (Lectra to AccuMark)
Additional applications such as Winplot are included with the professional software license but must be installed separately.
Clock Date and Time
It is extremely important to check the date and time BEFORE proceeding with the installation of the software. Turning back the clock once the software has been installed and running is strongly discouraged!
Installing the AccuMark Professional Edition Release 8.4.x
IMPORTANT: Close any open programs before installing the software.
No Previous Version of AccuMark installed Simply follow the “Steps to Install” below.
Previous Version of AccuMark 8.x installed
If a previous version of AccuMark 8.x is installed, it will automatically be uninstalled prior to installing this software. A dialog box is displayed informing the user when the installation is started.
Previous Version of AccuMark 7.6.x installed
If you have AccuMark version 7 software on your system, you must uninstall it first. Use the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel to removed this software.
Important! If you uninstall AccuMark V7 with previous V8 already installed:
When AccuMark V7 and V8 are installed on the same PC, AccuMark V8 must be reinstalled if AccuMark V7 is uninstalled. Reinstalling V8 will restore the software environment so that V8 will continue to run properly.
Important! If you have MicroMark 1.4.x installed:
If AccuMark version 8.0.4 or, earlier is installed, when you install V8.0.5, the MicroMark .bin files will be overwritten. The 8.0.5 and higher, installations have been updated to not overwrite these files in the \ADS and subdirectories if 8.0.5 or higher is currently installed. If you are installing over MicroMark software it is recommended to make copies of your .bin files before proceeding with this installation. You can then copy the saved files back to keep your previous MicroMark settings.
Procedure to backup the MicroMark .bin files:
Back up both the C:\ADS\idop.bin and C:\ADS\options.bin files prior to installing AccuMark V8 on a PC with MicroMark software. Copy these files to another location.
In the event that the AccuMark V8 release has already been installed and the above condition(s) are discovered, copy C:\ADS\idop.bin and/or C:\ADS\options.bin files from the backup or a working MicroMark workstation. You will need to reset the MicroMark operator's initials afterward. Next, check the validity of the option settings for use on the current MicroMark workstation.
Steps to Install AccuMark Software
1. Insert the DVD of AccuMark Professional release into the DVD drive, or locate the Setup folder if the software was downloaded and saved to disk.
2. On most Windows systems setup will automatically start the installation when the DVD is loaded. If AutoPlay is not enabled on your system,
a) From the Start menu, select Run…
b) Type e:\setup (where e: is the letter of your DVD drive)
c) Select OK
3. Check your system requirements by running the “Test for minimum requirements” on the start page. Install any system updates as indicated by the test results.
4. Install Acrobat Reader and view the documentation.
5. Click “Install AccuMark Professional Edition”.
6. You may select an alternate destination directory when prompted, or simply accept the default folder.
7. For a standard installation select Typical. Selecting the Typical Setup type will assure all required applications and files are installed.
8. You may be prompted to choose to overwrite only the Sample storage areas that are installed with PE installations. Selecting Yes will remove any existing data in those storage areas only, and re-copy the sample data. Selecting No will leave the current data intact. The sample storage areas are GTBASICS, DATA70 and SIL2000. Overwriting these storage areas will not affect any other user created storage areas.
9. If you desire to use the “Send To” option (to email data) available in the AccuMark Explorer, you must select one of the Email Options when prompted. This option will work with the Email system that is installed on your PC. For instance, if you are using Microsoft Outlook, select Microsoft Mail/Lotus cc:Mail option.
10. The installation will also launch a subsequent install for the Problem Report Utility for new installations or if updates have been made to these applications. The Problem Report Utility provides the ability to send electronic reports to GT.
11. The installation will also launch a subsequent install for the new GTLM Security for new installations or if updates have been made to these applications. GTLM installs Sentinel drivers and services that will be used for the V8 keys and license files.
12. On new installations a license agreement is displayed. Read and accept the terms of the agreement.
13. An informational dialog box will display instructing the user how to install your license file.
This is only needed for new installations or purchased Upgrades (for example, 8.0 to 8.1). Free updates do not require re-installing your license file (for example, 8.0.2 to 8.0.3). Refer to section 5 “Software Security” for details.
14. The security permission program is started at the end of the install to set administrator privileges for the Users group to AccuMark data (storage areas) and program directories. Setting Permissions provides the ability for non-administrator users to access Gerber data and applications.
15. You can optionally view the Readme document at the end of the installation, which will open the Release Notes using Adobe Acrobat Reader.
16. When the installation has completed, select Yes to restart your computer, if prompted.
When you run the AccuMark system for the first time during or after installing the software an approval of the licensing agreement is necessary. Once the affirmative response has been entered, the licensing agreement will not display again
The installation creates the C:\USERROOT directory structure, which contains the data, required by the system. The default program files are located in the subdirectories under c:\program files\Gerber Technology, unless a different destination is chosen during the installation.